Frequently Asked Questions



  • How do I apply?

    Please visit our website at to apply for housing. If you need accommodation due to disability, please contact our office at 218-741-2610

  • Who is eligible for housing?

    Eligibility is based on total annual gross household income and family size.

  • I am homeless and in need of housing.

    If you need housing, please call 211, a United Way referral for available housing. We suggest calling the AEOA (Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency) at 218-748-7357, Bills House 218-741-2063 and Hibbing Outreach shelter 218-735-7353. St Louis County Social Services 218-749-7137. Public Housing and Section 8 applications can be obtained at our website or by stopping at our office located at 442 Pine Mill Court in Virginia, MN. You can also call our office at 218-741-2610 and request one be mailed to you.

  • Where am I on the waiting list?

    Your application is placed on the waiting list according to date and time received. We do not disclose positions on the list.

  • Do I have to live in Virginia to apply?

    No, but preference for Public Housing is given to those applicants that live, work, and are hired to work, or go to school in Virginia.

  • Is there an application fee?

    There is no application fee for any of the affordable housing programs. There is an application fee for the Laurentian Manor and the Washington Manor.

  • Can I apply for housing if I have been evicted?

    Virginia Housing Authority accepts all applications for housing. However, we must assess for evictions, and it is very hard to determine eligibility without gathering additional and detailed information from you.

Section 8

Public Housing

  • How much is my rent?

    Please call our office at 218-741-2610 or you can login to your rent payment account to find out your rent amount.

  • What is your pet policy?
    • Tenants of the Columbia/Rouchleau and scattered sites are permitted 1 dog or 1 cat. All pets must have a city license and proof of all vaccinations, as well as being spayed or neutered. Tenants must pay a pet deposit, fill out all paperwork, and be approved before the animal residing in the unit.
    • Tenants of Pine Mill Court rental units are not permitted to have an animal unless it is needed as reasonable accommodation due to a disability.  The accommodation must be approved by the HRA prior to having the animal reside in the unit.  All approved animals must be licensed, have proof of vaccinations, and be spayed or neutered.
  • What is your visitor policy?

    Tenants shall not give accommodation to long term guests, more than 14 days (about 2 weeks), without advance written consent of the Landlord.

  • My income changes, what do I do?

    The tenant should report and verify a decrease in income immediately to the office, who can be reached at 218-741-2610.

  • Can I use my Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher at the public housing properties?

    No, you cannot use your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher with any of the public housing programs.

  • What utilities are included with rent?
    • Columbia & Rouchleau Apartments: all your utilities are included in your rent.
    • Pine Mill Court: Heat is included with rent. Residents are responsible for electricity, water, sewers, and garbage.
    • Scattered Sites: Utilities are not included with rent. Residents are responsible for all of them.
  • How much is the security deposit?

    The security deposit for Pine Mill Court, Scattered Site units, Columbia and Rouchleau Apartments is $250.

  • Are your apartments accessible?

    Virginia Housing Authority operates barrier-free properties which provide accessible, affordable housing for physically disabled residents in an independent living environment. Many of our properties have apartments specifically designed with accessible features. Please contact our main office if you are interested in more information about accessibility options.

  • To speak to my property manager, do I have to go through the front desk?

    No, you do not, if you have your property manager’s phone number. If you need their number, please contact the front desk at 218-741-2610. After you have been given the phone number, please call your property manager directly.

  • Can the front desk give me information out of my file?

    Absolutely not, you should contact your property manager for specific questions about your file.

  • My car was towed-who do I contact?

    Please contact your Property Manager.

ROSS (Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency)

Market Rate/Senior Housing


FSS (Family Self Sufficiency)

  • How does the escrow account work?

    An account is established by the PHA for each participating household. Any increase in the household’s rent due to earned income results in crediting the household’s escrow account. Once a household graduates from the program, they may access the escrow and use it for any purpose.

  • How does FSS help with homeownership?

    The HCV (Housing Choice Voucher) homeownership program enables households receiving assistance under the HCV program to utilize their voucher to purchase a home and obtain monthly mortgage assistance to cover homeownership expenses.

  • What services do you provide?

    Obtaining employment, establishing better quality of life, escrow account, budgeting, establishing credit, credit repair, homeownership, education advancement, and decreasing debt.

  • What are the qualifications to be in the FSS program?

    The FSS program is available to Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program participants. Please note: This is an employment-bound program. In order to graduate from the FSS Program, participants must be employed.